Precision Headphone Amplifier
Small, compact and robust, the Bacillus is a precision grade headphone amplifier that comfortably adapts to any impedance headphones. The bright profile is quick in transitions and urges a direct sound, most notably in rock genres. But the low distortion also adapts quickly to acoustic and delivers a very realistic and intimate experience. All in all, Bacillus is an impressive performer and thanks to its diminutive size is an ideal road companion for travelling sound professionals. The Bacillus might be our entry-level headphone amplifier, but on looks and performance you could be forgiven for thinking this elegant headphone amp is among our high-end range – it’s only our generous price tag that gives the game away.
The Bacillus was the first project we successfully completed - although it wasn't the first we started. The initial prototype looked pretty cute: small, compact, stylish and finished off with a shiny acrylic front panel.
Our intention was to create a portable headphone amp that was as small as possible. Initially, the chassis on the Bacillus was 5 mm shorter, but because of the crowded rear we felt it was too risky so opened her up a little.
Fortunately, we were able to maintain a compact size which is quite a feat when you consider the amp has a built-in power supply, huge input capacitors and a heat sink. And because of its size, we wanted to name it after something small – and bacteria (lat. Bacillus) seemed appropriate.
- Headphone impedance: 8-600 ohm
- Output power: 181.5 mW (8 ohm)/161 mW (600 ohm)
- Frequency response: 3 Hz-500 kHz, -1dB
- THD (1 kHz): 0.0003 %
- IMD: 0.025 %
- Power consumption:> 3 W
- SNR: >102 dB
- Power supply input voltage: 230 V/50 Hz or 115 V/60 Hz
- Dimensions (W x H x D): 110 mm x 64 mm x 180 mm
- Weight: 850 g
- Character: Slightly bright
- 5 years warranty
- WIMA high quality pulse input capacitors
- audiophile grade op-amp
- double 180 MHz/250 mA Burr-Brown current buffer
- Alps Blue Velvet volume potentiometer
- gold plated RCA connectors
- silver plated interconnecting wire on input
- on-board 2 x 15 V stabilized power supply
- robust aluminum chassis